Monday, September 5, 2011

Rough Way To Go

Okay this weekend has probably been the worst weekend I've had yet during treatments.  I woke up Friday morning with serious nausea and diarrhea.  I wasn't able to eat more than 1 piece of toast and didn't really drink much but still headed off to chemo like a trooper.  I told the nurse practitioner that I felt like I'd fallen apart from last week to this week, I was feeling pain, I wasn't sleeping and was just exhausted, oh and the upset stomach.  She went ahead and prescribed a sleep aid for me to try to help and we talked about all the other issues I was experiencing.  I thought the nausea might have been from something I'd eaten the night before so we figured it would work itself out of my system itself.  Made it over to the chemo area where I  was put through the same pre-meds I had just managed to be taken off of for 1 week.  Of course I felt the benadryl "haze" immediately and it didn't take long for me to fall asleep.  Well that was soon short lived as I was immediately woken up with a major wave of nausea.  Thank goodness Brian was quick on his feet with the trash can.  After spending some time emptying out whatever was left in my stomach they went ahead and proceeded with the taxotere and I was sent on my way.

I debated whether or not to still make the trip home this weekend to see the family, but instead opted to forget trying to haul the washer and dryer to dad's house and but to go ahead with the planned visit.  I literally slept the ENTIRE ride up there.  Brian and I went out to Applebee's for dinner, honestly NOT a good choice when you've still got a queasy stomach, they didn't even have buttered noodles on the kids menu!!  Ended up with chicken tenders and fries, and they both managed to stay down.  Had a great visit on Friday evening with the extended family and even made plans to go watch the OSU game with my sister and her friend the next day.  Woke up on Saturday with more diarrhea and continued nausea, so at that point just decided to make the drive home. 

I watched the first half of the game and then fell asleep at half time.  Unfortunately my nap lasted the entire second half, but I was happy to wake up and find out we had won 42-0!!!  Unfortunately the nausea has lasted the majority of the weekend.  I hadn't eaten all day Saturday but was able to eat some dinner later in the evening.  Yesterday I managed a few small meals but really didn't feel like eating.  I haven't left the house in over 48 hours and haven't managed to do much outside of bed.

For those of you that know Brian and I well you know that I'm the one to takes care of the majority of the housework.  Housework is at the top of my list of frustrations of living with cancer.  Most days it's all I can do to make it through an 8 hour day at work but come home and cook, do dishes or laundry....not happening.  Well since Brian hates doing housework, and I'm not capable of doing what I used to things are just falling behind....my big plan for this weekend was to get caught up around the house...I figured I had 2 days to pace myself and get things done.  Fat chance!!  So here I sit on the bed looking at the floor where some of the dirty clothes have been sorted and am trying to talk myself into sorting what's in the hamper and at least getting 1 load to the basement and into the washer.  I'm SERIOUSLY considering hiring a housekeeper until I make it through treatments and get my life back.

Speaking of treatments...T minus 6 weeks until I have to walk into that infusion area and receive my LAST chemo treatment!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yes -- hire a housekeeper. It will be the best thing you've done for yourself in a long time. We don't hesitate to hire a mechanic when we can't fix our car, or a tailor when we need a hem in a new pair of pants, right? Even if the housekeeper is temporary, you will heal much better without the worry of what needs to get done -- it will just magically be done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hired a housekeeper during chemo. AND I wasn't working - so you have double the reasons to.

    You will get through it, the finish line is near. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete