Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Shortage?!?!

Received a call today from the nurse practiciner at the oncologists office.  Evidentally there is a nationwide shortage of Taxol so I will no longer be receiving it.  Instead I will be receiving a similar drug called Taxotere (spelling unsure).  So instead of my weekly treatments at a lower dosage I will be receiving a treatment every 3 weeks at a higher dosage.  This means that the Neulasta shots are coming back.  I'm sure Brian will be happy to be giving those to me again!

I'm not really sure how I feel about this.  It's 3 treatments instead of 9, Yeah!  But that means the Neulasta injections are back, Yuck!  Hopefully the Neulasta will help keep my immune system up while I'm working, Yeah! Will finish treatment a week later than originally expected, Yuck!  And I'm hoping the side effects aren't felt more than they already are.  This was something previously discussed with the oncologist when I started the weekly Taxol, if we did every other week there was more of a chance I would feel the painful side effects than with the weekly injections.  I guess I'll have to decide how I feel after I get the treatment!

Just for something funny to add...Brian and I walked down the street to the field that used to have wheat in it to take pictures of the flowers now growing in it....decided to just pop a squat right in the middle of the flowers and let Brian take my picture...for those that haven't seen me in awhile, it's the first official BALD photo!!

2 comments:

  1. That was on the news here too! WTF?? I heard about it and shook my head. Didn't realize it was affecting you guys too - so its officially a shortage in the States and Canada then. WOW.

    Taxotere is the drug I had, I did ok on it... with the Neulasta :) Joint pain was my major side effect on that, but of course once the Neulasta hits you can't really tell which is from what, lol.

    BTW - you look so fantastic - you got a great bald look to ya girlie!! Rock it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We actually have a hard time trying to finding certain Chemo drugs here at work. I know I have heard Joyce trying to call around to other emergency clinics to get some before...

    ReplyDelete